Monday, January 10, 2011

School Spirit for Skeptics

First posted February 16, 2010
Last week was our high school’s winter edition of Homecoming, Winterfest.  As a music teacher I often cringe at the poor production of a school assembly – the dead time, the technical snafus. Yet despite my critical nature, I always stand and clap for the school song. I probably do not follow our school sports as closely as I should, but I do have my own brand of school spirit.
My assigned spot in the gym is the top of the NE bleachers, where students who don’t seem very impressed by assemblies tend to hang out. Their inattention is in direct contrast to the over-participation of the boys’ basketball team that is seated on the floor in front of the bleachers and make themselves a part of each skit with their shouted comments. I respect the apathetic students’ right not to care about this high school tradition, but I wish we could frame school spirit to be about something more than sports.
When I cheer for our sports teams, dance teams, or other student endeavors it is because they are ours. Whether you believe these children have been placed in our care by a deity or by the state legislature, as adults we have the responsibility and privilege to care for these children. The great thing about this approach to school spirit is that is does not require a common foe, and it does not wax or wane with winning or losing seasons.
So, at the next school assembly I will proudly stand and support all of our students, even those sitting behind me on the bleachers

No comments:

Post a Comment